Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an All-American Marching Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Umm....... on March 19, 2004 at 01:45:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an All-American Marching Band posted by READ THIS!final word on March 18, 2004 at 14:22:47:

...you should really check someone's credentials before you go off on a tirade...

If I'm not mistaken, Leland has played in his share of drum corps, and is currently in one of the military drum corps (isn't that right, Leland?).

AND...he is right: the year I started to march Star of Indiana, in 1991 (the year they WON), there was about 20-30 really solid brass musicians. Just about all of the percussionists were solid, of course, but the brass had a lot of mediocrity in it. NOW, that being stated, the activity has given rise to a much higher standard nowadays, and I'm sure that means the demand for better musicianship is high. BUT, don't kid yourself into thinking that everyone on that field is slated to become a professional musician. It just ain't happenin'. There are definitely a high percentage of musicians on that field that will be able to go on to careers in music, be it in front of a group or in a group, but drum corps does thrive on repetition and this allows just about any intermediate musician to be able to rise to the occasion after 13 hours or so of diligent practicing of the same 15-minute show everyday. This I can state from experience from working with PAID musicians who, initially, couldn't hack a 30-minute show, but had little problems after performing the same show 400 times during a summer. Even then some of those musicians couldn't hack it. Whaddya gonna do? They weren't hired by me. This cross section exists in just about every situation...you might as well get used to it.

Although I do respect your love and devotion to drum corps, I just don't want you to kid yourself into thinking EVERY person on that field is the next Porkorny. Or Herseth. Or Lindberg. Not EVERY kid at Interlochen will be a success either. Not EVERY student at Julliard or Curtis will be successful (although I'm sure their percentages will be a "little" higher, hehehe). And I just bet none of the students at those schools do drum corps (I might be wrong, but I'm not....). It's all about a commitment to excellence. That's what you are referring to when you praise drum corps. You seem to get it...but don't fool yourself into thinking everybody does. Some just want to play higher, louder, and faster. And that's just what they'll do.

BTW...you'll noticed I wrote "started" to march with Star....the reason I didn't march was because I got a gig that summer: playing at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. I'd rather get paid to play.

Nuff said.

Allen

Follow Ups: