Re: Re: Used or new?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 16, 1999 at 21:25:09:

In Reply to: Re: Used or new? posted by Mark E. Chachich on May 16, 1999 at 19:47:40:

As a retailer who buys new/wholesale, I sometimes buy "demo" instruments that have been to shows, have acid runs on solder joints, or that have received small shipping bell creases (repaired nicely). In the least expensive beginner tuba price range, they (the manufacturers/wholesalers) usually offer me about $150 to $200 off. Interpolate this discount,in a combination of arithmetic-wise and ratio-wise, up from the $1800 price range that I am referring to, up to the price range of the Getzen that you are interested in. Maybe this will help you to decide whether your demo discount is reasonable.

In spite of the cold mathematical semi-formula that I offered, the reason that I posted underneath this response is because Mr. Chachich's philosophy seems to line up with mine regarding picking the instrument, rather than the price, if you can. (You only have to pay for it once, and you might play it for decades.)

I have also heard that Mr. Fedderly is an honorable businessman.

Follow Ups: