Re: play tuba AND trumpet ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan L on May 23, 1999 at 13:21:42:

In Reply to: play tuba AND trumpet ? posted by JRTapes on May 19, 1999 at 13:15:10:

Boy, am I late with this post - been a hectic few days.

I regularly pull this switch almost daily. A week ago I played a doubling gig with a local variety dance combo - 80% on a Conn 20J tuba with a bored PT-44 mpc, and 20% on a modified L.A. Benge 3XPlus trumpet with a stock Bach 3C mpc. The only way I can pull this switch off with any comfort is to warm up on trumpet first, then warm up on tuba. When I forget and just start off on tuba, my trumpet playing is horrible - the inside of my lip feels like it's peeling off and blowing out the bell!

Three days ago I played a straight trumpet gig, 2nd and ride with a 10-piece big band. No problems. Today I'll be playing a straight tuba gig with a polka band. I warmed up this morning on tuba, and no problems.

My trumpet setup was developed over 15 years of full-time trumpet playing; it works for everything reasonable. On my 20J 6/4 tuba, I use the the PT-44 because I love the sound and response with that horn and the feel of the rim on my chops. On my Conn 10J 3/4 horn, I prefer a Helleberg 7B.

Just for info, I use a Bach 12C on my King 2B 'bone and a Bach 6 1/2AL on my Conn bell-front short-action baritone (Victor model?, number unk). These mpc's work with these horns.

Switching from trumpet to tuba can be a tough switch at times, but I have been doubling on all types of horns for 40 of my 48 years. I started on trumpet at 7 and learned sax at 8. I regularly work doubling gigs on trumpet & sax. Satchel Paige once said, "... it's just mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter!".

Best advice, find a horn/mpc combo you like for each horn and stick with it. The more you switch and double, the easier it gets. Who once asked, "How do you get to Carnage Hall...".

Good luck and good playing!

jan

Follow Ups: