Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin H. on May 04, 2001 at 17:44:17:

In Reply to: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by sick of it on May 04, 2001 at 12:03:17:

I am just a high schooler, and I understand this. However, with the rather rapid switching in high schools especially today of players playing CC tubas, and especially with the fifth valve added, it is quite possible to play these tones in tune. I am a good enough player that I can listen and not only tell if I'm in tune, and whether or not it sounds good. My conductor agreed that the contra octave sounded good, and I was the only tuba out of three that was taking it down. I would like for you to listen to the recording and tell me with a straight face that it doesn't sound good with the extra octave added, and even though it wasn't origionally written by ticheli, if it sounds better to not only the conductor whi is interpreting the music, as well as those listening in the audiance and the judges who are judging the performance (who, once again, awarded our section the outstanding brass award) then why does it matter? Please don't take anything I've said offensively or the wrong way, and I may be way out of line here, but that's my oppinion and I'm entitled to it, just like you are entitled to yours.

Austin

Follow Ups: