Re: financing a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on May 07, 2001 at 16:25:54:

In Reply to: financing a tuba posted by David M. on May 07, 2001 at 14:52:22:

Try two things -

First of all, get your teacher into the financial aid loop. If the horn is deemed necessary to your education, you're more likely to get the extra funds needed. And financial aid officers, after hearing every cock-and-bull story in the book will probably give much more creedence to the say-so of a tenured professor. Or at least a faculty member. Do your homework! Dig and find the financial aid guidelines. I'm sure they're out there somewhere. If nothing else, get something from your financial aid office. But if you're getting into a gray area, you need to know as much as possible about the regs so that you can present a lucid argument in favor of the funding.

If you still strike out and have to go to a bank, first of all, try joining a credit union. The loans are usually a little easier to get, and the rates are usually a little better. You'll need your teacher again, this time as an expert on the value and future resale possibilities. Tubas do indeed have numbers on them. The credit union that loaned me money for my horn has the ser. # on file, along with a lein on the horn. I can't legally sell it until I pay them back. The horn is the collateral. If they still balk, take your business elsewhere. There is a bank somewhere in town that will help you.

Good luck

Follow Ups: