Re: Why has the value of my horn decreased?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The more things change.... on May 16, 2001 at 08:52:50:

In Reply to: Why has the value of my horn decreased? posted by Dave on May 15, 2001 at 22:51:24:

It seems that there are fashions in tubas as in everything else. When I was a serious young player in the late '60s and early '70s, the tuba to get was an Alexander, with Miraphone/Mirafone a distant second choice. Some old players spoke of pre-WWII Kruspe's and many players used the big Conn and King horns.

Since I have been playing again the past 6 years, the fashion seems to be for York copies (by Hirsbrunner, Nirschl), Hirsbrunners, Willsons, Miraphone/s, Rudy Meinl's, Meinl Weston's, etc. Alexanders remain almost a cult -- unsurpassed if they play in tune, but often almost impossible.

What I have not heard is anyone (other than Vince) with a whole lot of enthusiasm for Kalison.

As in many things, when you buy a less expensive brand such as Kalison, the immediate loss of value is much greater than if you bought the top of the line, because people are willing to pay for perceived quality used, after the dealer's mark-up is gone.

I suspect the numbers you're hearing for your horn are about right. I'm sorry for you, but when you bought, you had to choose between a new horn or a used horn for the same money. If no one told you that you'd keep value better with a good $6,500 used Hirsbsrunner, then you did not get straight advice.

Follow Ups: