Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why has the value of my horn decreased?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on May 16, 2001 at 21:07:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why has the value of my horn decreased? posted by anon on May 16, 2001 at 15:27:04:

This poster has a pretty good grasp of most of the situation.

The fault I find with this thread is the inability of the original poster to accept responsibility for his purchase. I doubt that Vince or anyone else held a gun to the buyers head and said buy it or else... If someone spends $6000+ for a horn, he must like the instrument, if only for the moment.

A good salesman, whether it be at Tuba Exchange, Baltimore Brass, Dillon, or Woodwind and Brasswind, Brook Mays or any other store (sorry to those of you with stores I did not mention) will ask a few questions prior to recommending an instrument. Those questions reveal what a customer is seeking if the salesman listens. The answers tell the salesman how much the customer is willing to spend and several other factors. At that point, the instruments can be recommended and tried out. (There is no need to bring out a $12,000 horn if the customer only has $6000 to spend. The dealer usually has enough to do without getting horns out just for the fun of it.)

Many of the respondants to this thread seem to dislike Mr. Simonetti. My personal impression is that this is as much a personality issue as it is whether Mr. Simonetti is honest or not. By the way, dishonest people aren't usually able to stay in business for very long. Bill Rose, whom I have a great deal of respect for, has worked with Vince at the Texas music shows for years. While I do not care for his personality, I take that into consideration when I do business with them.

Another aspect of whether the instrument has lost value, or not, is its condition and use and desirability in the current market. A car is not a classic just because it is now 25 years old and considered an ANTIQUE.

Sorry this has been so long, but I feel Mr. Simonetti and some of the horns he sells are being bashed unfairly. Each person has the responsibility for choosing the instrument he/she likes and then taking responsibility for the purchase or not of it.

Follow Ups: