Re: Grad Assistantship 2002-2003

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Bratten on May 17, 2001 at 16:19:20:

In Reply to: Grad Assistantship 2002-2003 posted by David Zerkel on May 17, 2001 at 09:36:11:

Here is a plug for the Bulldog Brass at UGA.

If you want to play a lot, this is a great opportunity. Fred gets lots of great opportunities for this group, and the pay is good. Athens is not very expensive. Not for the stay at home and watch TV through grad school types, though. But isn't that what grad school is all about? Fred is a great guy, but will definately put you to work.

It is a big time commitment (10 hours a week of BQ rehearsals), but most of that time is spent rehearsing or performing. Plus, the quintet has a summer gig worth $2000+ in upstate NY. You will get to work with the next UGA Brass Quintet Festival and Competition, meet a lot of brass "heavies", study with Dave, and possibly travel the world. We went to South America when I was there, and the group went to Europe the year before. I also had an adjunct faculty job at a nearby college. Plus, the facilities at UGA are fantastic.

Current tuba player is lovemeister extrordinaire Willy Clark, and I am a former member as well (I play in a little wind band in Washington, D.C.)

Definately worth investigating.

Tom Bratten

Follow Ups: