Re: CC or BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin H. on May 09, 2002 at 21:46:35:

In Reply to: CC or BBb posted by question? on May 09, 2002 at 08:39:27:

I liked the worst CC I've played (old beat up cerveny) much better than the best BBb I ever played (Meinl Weston hand picked by Arnold Jacobs). If you ask me, the professionals that play BBb's are dying out. It seems the top high school players (that will go on to later be pros) are switching to CC, and the same goes for college. Instrument makers seem to be making the most improvements to their CC horns, and it won't be long before it is common to see high school band programs that have school owned CC's. You hear stories about the audience or conductor not being able to tell whether the player is on a CC or a BBb. Well, maybe they're right, but CC's have less pipe than BBb's, so on every note fingered open or 2nd valve (the majority of the notes) you're blowing through at least a foot and up to 13 (maybe even more) feet less pipe than you would be on a BBb. This makes it more open. If you don't believe me, blow through a circular foot long pipe, then through a similar one that is 13 feet long. Which is easier? hmmm that's a tough one. It's the same principle. Therefore, the CC will play easier. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are great BBb's out there but they are hard to find...and why not just get a CC? I mean you might be ABLE to sound as good but you'll have to work harder, in my oppinion. Oh well, flame away. I'll save you people some of the trouble - I am an idiot. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Don't pay attention to this post because it's rambling and incoherrant (mispelled), and may god have mercy on my soul.

Austin

Follow Ups: