Re: Question: piston or rotary valves?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on May 13, 2002 at 20:19:04:

In Reply to: Question: piston or rotary valves? posted by Michelangelo on May 13, 2002 at 17:13:46:

Hey,

I know some people who are gonna say that pistons give a more clear, abrupt articulation, and that rotors are more smooth sounding, but honestly ive never heard any difference. Ive been using a rotary horn for 4 years until I got my getzen which is a piston horn. What ive noticed:

1) I you are used to pushing rotors and move to pistons get ready for a shock! I'm having to learn what is means to push straight down. B/c of the levers used on rotors, you can push 'em just about any waya nd your fine. Pistons, however can and WILL stick if you push them wrong.

2) People who say rotary horns are "soooo much faster than pistons" need to get out more. I thought that, too, until i played a wuality piston horn, not some neglected 20-year old yamaha school thing. I suppose when you get into the larger bores (.770 and up) it would make a difference, due to the fact that all rotors have the same stroke length (its a circle thing). Pistons limit your bore size unless you want to push them down two inches each time (a little hyperbole).

3) Pistons require more care, due to the size of the part that touches the casing. Rotors can survive years without oil, for soem reason, but a piston will freeze up on you or corrode or eat your mother's cat ;-)

4) Pistons provide a few more options in where they can be put on a horn. Just look at how most roatary horns look alike, but piston horns vary from the Getzen to a Yamaha upright, to a rudy meinl.

5) Most piston horns have shorter leadpipes, but there are exceptions on both sides.

6) It doesn't really matter what valves you have, as long as you like the sound coming out of the horn and you can play cleanly. I hate hearing that because it feels like a cop-out, but its true. Try a few horns, and as long as the valves are in good shape, what type they are shouldn't affect it too much. what should matter is the overall sound.

That's what i can tell.

I seem to remember from about 3 years ago on this BBS soemone saying that one type of valve promotes carpal tunnel syndrome, but i cant remember which type. Anyone else been here that long?

Thanks for reading this all the way, if you havent left out of boredom yet ;-)

Doug

Follow Ups: