Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: too many ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on May 04, 2003 at 11:24:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: too many ? posted by LV on May 03, 2003 at 21:51:44:

We probably do agree on much more that is coming out of this thread. I especially agree that it is a tragedy that we may be graduating illiterates. However, I haver never seen a women's study course or black studies or something of that ilk was part of a required core curriculum, especially in lieu of basic writing courses (english 101, 102, etc.) There are courses that use feminist (state your non-majority here) content in teaching writing, such as English 101, but the objectives of learning to write are just the same.

It may be important to be grounded in reality, but more important, I think, is to be prepared for when "reality" changes. The reality was that not long ago women were not allowed to vote and were treated largely as property. It took some people to transgress reality to usher in more equality. I fear that too much emphasis on the reality of what is will keep us where we are. I personally like Dr. Martin Luther King's cliche of having a dream. Education can be every bit as much about efficacy as it is content.

I apologize for straying too far from tuba content. I respect the opinions of those with whom I disagree. Indeed, it is a grand example of tolerance when we can agree to disagree.

Follow Ups: