Re: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ridiculous! on May 04, 2003 at 22:52:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras posted by angry on May 04, 2003 at 21:55:06:

I am sorry, but to allow your reason-less rhetoric to slide simply because I know it is popular is B.S.!

1) Donations are write-offs for anyone who choses to make them, be they wealthy or not. Personally I benefitted when I was in college and earning less than 8k a year when I mad donations to the local orchestra, it wasn't a lot but it still counted, You may begrudge "the wealthy" because you (for some reason) believe they should give more ... perhaps because you feel it is likely easier for them to do.
Well, here's some news, people of means don't as a rule throw their money away ... which is part of the reason they HAVE it! Bailing a mis-managed organization out of the dole is a pretty stupid way to practice philanthropy. Given the sorry-ass fiscal, financial, and personnel management practices of many of our orchestras here in the states, most people of means would consider a huge donation to many of these outfits pissing their money away, and (believe it or not) many of them chose to give to more responsible causes.

Cuts for college grants? You belly-aching because you don't get a free ride?!?
Perish the thought that a post-secondary education should be WORKED for!

The V.A.? I do not know of ANY cuts to that institution that cannot be picked up by your locally administered social services. Whether your local network will actually DO it though is UP TO YOU.

b.t.w. if you think school lunches should be paid for by joe and jane taxpayer, perhaps jonnie and janie student will get a more efficiently-administered free lunch if it is paid for by your state, or local government, and not taken out of the taxes of fixed-income fogies in arizona.

Donning nomex P.

Follow Ups: