Re: Re: .PDF sample of scale routines uploaded

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on May 06, 2003 at 09:40:25:

In Reply to: Re: .PDF sample of scale routines uploaded posted by Pat on May 06, 2003 at 08:52:09:

As I read you, you are not wrong in your understanding of the tonal and writing situation in the British brass band.

However you may have followed the recent threads about the necessity, or not, of practising scales. It appears, that I find the mastering of all keys/scales, at least those in the major mode, essential for a good basic technique.

There are many scale training systems. Some are easier, some stretch the musicianship of the player more. As the, now retired, teacher of many young brass players, I have strived to develop a system, which balances the priorities of progressing players.

All players begin with the scale starting on the 2nd partial of their instrument independent of the key of their instrument. In bass clef concert writing that implies, that each differently keyed instrument must play from its own routine. Whereas all low brasses, except for the bassbone, in a British style can play from the same routine. Please note, that my routine is intended to accommodate and optimise the INDIVIDUAL training of each player. This routine is NOT intended for ensemble and class teaching. (Such a modified version could rather easily be made, but the board discussions have been about individual training, so that is what I have wanted to address here).

In the mid-range my routine cycles in fifths, which the musically logic way. In the outer ranges the progression happens in chromatic increments. The reason for this choice is, that limitations in individual embouchures weigh in more heavily in these ranges.

If there have been any misunderstandings, then which routines are for ensemble use, and which ones are intended for individual work.

Klaus

Follow Ups: