Re: Re: Re: Re: An idea for orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on May 08, 2003 at 02:56:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: An idea for orchestras posted by B.G. on May 07, 2003 at 19:47:10:

Barry,

Not sure I'd want to move to Reno so I'll have to pass on your kind offer to trade places!

I have friends from Japan who think the SFSO under MTT is the greatest thing since sliced bread - they always try to schedule their business trips so they can make the concerts, so I know I may be in the minority on this - but MTT just IRRITATES me something awful. I'd go with stodgy old Blomstedt any day. And I love Beethoven, Brahms etc and I hate atonal music so badly it makes me want to throw up. Sort of like fingernails scraping on a blackboard, just not as pleasant.

I just can't believe that all the beautiful melodies have been written and it makes me mad that modern composers aren't trying harder to find them!

Somehow I think that if people don't leave the concert humming the themes, then the music isn't really reaching them. It might appeal to some abstract part of their personality but I don't believe it can reach your heart if it can't make you want to sing.

I never said I wasn't opinionated!

Follow Ups: