Re: Unfinished business...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christian on May 08, 2003 at 21:49:54:

In Reply to: Unfinished business... posted by SHS Tubamaster on May 08, 2003 at 19:59:17:

vacuum cleaner belts designed to fit eureka uprights. I got mine at Sears for like $2.

If I were you, here's what I would do about checking for clanks (this is also what I do):
--get your ear close to the valve and listen to the clank. remember exactly what it sounds like (so you know what to do if you hear that same clank again).
--put your ear in the mouthpiece and listen to the clank. remember exactly what it sounds like. (so you know what to do if you hear that same clank again).

--Then troubleshoot the problem a bit, make sure all of the screws that hold the stop arms onto the rotors are tight. Use a screwdriver with a narrow blade as to not generate too much force (torque?) where you might accidentally twist off the head of the screw. They aren't as strong as you think. Then also make sure all of the back rotor caps are tight.

--new mirafones usually have pretty tight valves, start by dumping a bunch of valve oil down the leadpipe (do the leadpipe every day), into the valve slides. work the valves and test.

--if you still have clank, put some valve oil on the rotor spindles. Don't be afraid to drip all over the place. test again.

--if you still have a case of the clank, grab the stop arm and pull up and down. if you have up and down motion, depress the valve, tighten up the screw that's in the center of the valve cap until it holds the valve down, then loosen it until the valve pops back. you may need to loosen it just a bit more to make the valve a bit faster.

Christian Klein

Follow Ups: