Re: another college instructor back-stabbed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian C on May 10, 2003 at 18:54:18:

In Reply to: another college instructor back-stabbed posted by js on May 10, 2003 at 16:20:06:

Hmm. That's a tough one, Joe. If she had advised the student to consult a professional regarding whether the student had performance anxiety, that would be one thing. If she advised the student to consult with a doctor about getting performance anxiety medication, then that would be outside the area of her professional competence and could be considered an inappropriate relationship. I do not think that the firing is just, but one must remember that one is trained in music, not psychiatric medicine. A good faith effort to help a student with performance anxiety should not be punished, but there are subtle distinctions. (Note: Joe implies that it was a female instructor in the third paragraph.)

In general, a professor would not usually be out of line to suggest that the student might want to get tested for a learning disorder, which in this case would be performance anxiety. It would be a serious transgression for the professor to suggest that a student obtain Indural. However, what Joe says happened is somewhere between these two cases, the student was advised to see a doctor about obtaining performance anxiety medicine. Based on the limited information at hand, the conservative approach would be to fire the instructor as what happened is more similar to the second case I described. What I mean is that it sounds dangerously close to the second case. Nonetheless, I would not have fired the instructor. If it went to trial, the school could sue the student for legal fees when they win.

Follow Ups: