Re: playing for free

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on May 12, 2003 at 12:04:10:

In Reply to: playing for free posted by Stefan on May 12, 2003 at 06:03:49:

Good question, because I think that these situations come up a lot. Personally, I try and weigh the value of the activity in a social context. If it's a group that is doing some kind of measurable social good (i.e. playing in an elementary school to get kids excited about playing in band, for nursing homes, etc.) then I'm usually more than happy to donate my time if I have it to donate.

However, if its not for altruistic purposes (community bands, churches, etc.) then I have second thoughts - if the playing opportunity is particularly cool or unique then I usually will, or if the players or music are unusually good then I usually will as well. If I KNOW other people are being paid, then I don't; I haven't invested any less in time, money, and effort than other people just because they scratch wires with a stick and I don't. I simply explain politely that I have invested a lot of money and time into my craft of playing the tuba (or writing songs or producing recordings or whatever) and that my loan payments aren't getting any smaller whether I play for fun or for a check. If that makes me selfish (which I've been accused of being for refusing a free gig more than once) than so be it.

At the end of the day, you really only answer to yourself and whatever higher power you look to - do what you feel is right.

Daryl

Follow Ups: