playing for free

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stefan on May 12, 2003 at 06:03:49:

I am wondering what your thoughts are on doing free gigs. I realize that there are players of all levels reading this board and I am interested in opinions from anybody. In my situation, I generally get paid to play. However, I am often asked to play various types of jobs for free. This past weekend is an example of 2 free jobs I did.

The first one was with the local community orchestra in my area. The regular tubist could not do it so I filled in. The conductor is my colleague and friend. I went to 4 rehearsals and the concert. Drive time was minimal. The rep was Sleeping Beauty Waltz and the orchestra arrangement of De Meij's Lord of the Rings. I enjoyed playing it. I also know that several other subs were payed to play in this "volunteer" orchestra.

The other job involved playing with people who were not aquatences(sp?) of mine. Involved a lot of drive time. Only about 4 minutes of playing. 2 rehearsals. Not particularly enjoyable playing - some poor players.

So it has made me think a lot this weekend on weather I should accept free jobs or not. Any opinions?

Stefan Antwarg

Follow Ups: