Playing for the Prime Minister

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brent Herhold on May 13, 2003 at 18:50:46:

It was with great pleasure that I had the honor of performing, last night, at a dinner/fundraiser, for Mercy Ships, that featured the former Prime Minister of Great Britain, John Majors. Mercy Ships is a wonderful organization that provides medical assistance for the most needy of humankind. Believe me when I tell you that, after seeing the presentation of the work they do, no one should complain about any part of their existence. As the Prime Minister pointed out, in his remarks, the people helped by Mercy Ships could never, in their wildest imaginations, fathom the live styles we live and take for granted.

Lord Ian McColl, a Chairman of Mercy Ships, head of the surgical department at New Guys Hospital, London and a former member of Major’s administration introduced the Prime Minister. Lord McColl also entertained us with stories of Winston Churchill and Lady Astor, as he filled time whilst a faulty Powerpoint presentation was made right.

The Prime Minister spoke for roughly a half hour and primarily covered the concerns of the present World situation; I am sorry to say he sees little about which to be optimistic in regards to the situation in Iraq. He saw absolutely no possibility of a coalition government made up the Sunnis, the Shiites, and the Kurds. He also stressed the importance of, at least, attempting to improve the Israeli/Palestinian situation; he sees the future of the Middle East balancing on this issue. In Major’s words, “if nothing is done, this situation can only go from bad to horrible.”

There was some levity in the Prime Minister’s remarks; while commenting on the need for political discussion that exceeded “the 30-second sound bite,” he did note that the only sound bite he ever heard that made sense occurred in a discussion with Boris Yelstin, shortly after the start of Yelstin’s presidency. Majors asked Yelstin, “Boris, describe for me, in one word, the present state of Russia.” Yelstin replied, “Good.” Majors, thinking that, from what he had seen this was not the case, asked Yelstin, “Boris, then describe the state of Russia in two words.” Yelstin replied “Not good!”

Playing the tuba has afforded me many interesting opportunities in life, as exemplified by last evening’s events.

FYI the musicians were all invited quests and we did a tune immediately after dinner and then a tune to close the evening.

Brent Herhold

Follow Ups: