Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: F tubas in concert band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Regret reverser on May 20, 2003 at 14:40:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: F tubas in concert band? posted by Wade on May 20, 2003 at 10:13:00:

I don't know how old you are, but I have a hunch you may still be eligible for military service. This is the way I understand it:

The Navy Band will currently take prior service. There is currently no basic training requirement for prior service, just a two week course in being introduced to the Navy. So, since you wouldn't do basic, the age 35 requirement won't preclude you immediately. If you can (including your time already accrued) reach 20 years of service by your 55th birthday, you ARE eligible.

Additionally, I know of a trombonist who was prior service and OVER the age limit, and still allowed to audition for the Navy band, with the understanding that, if he won the job, the Navy band would attempt to get him an age waiver.

I can't guarantee that this information is current (it was true 6 months ago, but the rules are always changing). It's definitely worth a phone call. Contact Stuart McLean at the Navy Band. He'll let you know.

Follow Ups: