Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ..and... on May 23, 2003 at 12:03:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: a dumb post here posted by David on May 23, 2003 at 10:51:58:

I think this is a great thread. Blowing smoke up people's asses is unfortunately apart of this business. All of the reviews I have read, either of live tuba performances or recordings, NEVER mention negative things about the way the person played. Its always praise. The music, and especially the tuba world, are extremely small.
A great case in point is anytime a big professionals name is mentioned in a derogatory way on the BBS, as inappropriate as it is to bring him up in a public forum there is usually truth to it. The major pros don't play amazing 100% of the time, there is downtime. But whenever this is brought up the same old arguments rise... 1. "you couldn't do any better" 2. "why is your post anonymous" 3. "he could outplay you any day"
My closest friends I can be honest with. Our relationship is good enough, and they know I respect them regardless of a bad performance, to tell them the truth about how they played, and I take the same criticism from them.
With respect to critical reviews, I think anonymity (sp?) can breed the most truth, in the hands of a mature critic. just my opinion

Follow Ups: