Re: Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on May 23, 2003 at 14:27:44:

In Reply to: Re: a dumb post here posted by dunelandmusic on May 23, 2003 at 13:48:19:

Those are some good thoughts. In my opinion, part of what you are describing could be called ovation inflation. In years gone by, perhaps a performance which was slightly better than average was given a standing O. Then a better performance was given the same, but it just didn't seem to be enough. Well, then we have etc., etc. etc. Now what we have melted all this down to is that a more or less average performance gets a standing ovation. Anything less seems to indicate it was subpar. What I am saying in such an ineloquent way is that the standards for ovations of various types have somehow been lowered. I'm not quite certain how this came to be.

I can, however, address this in a different manner. I cannot speak to the world scene, but here in the U.S. it seems that we are always attempting to top the previous whatever. As an example, when I was in HS band, we had an annual band trip. For this, the director took us on about a 50 mile trip to where there were swimming, paddle boating, miniature golf, etc. We had a day long picnic. We loved it. By the time my kids were in band, they went to Florida, Washington D.C., etc.(we live in Texas). In fact, one of my sons sang in a boys choir that made a trip to France and a separate trip to Great Britain. This is the type of inflation I am attempting(however poorly) to connect with ovations. It may sound totally unrelated, but I personally don't think so.

Perhaps I need to have this paragraph designated to introduce the flames of subsequent posts. So to those of you who enjoy that sort of thing--ENJOY! No joke, however, I would like to hear from those who either agree or disagree. This is just my take on the situation.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: