Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bill Bell recordings on LP?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on May 31, 2003 at 16:40:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bill Bell recordings on LP? posted by Rob P-M on May 31, 2003 at 15:45:33:

Well, I think I said before that I'm not talking about "stealing" one.

I'm talking about paying for a copy.

Big difference in the case of a Bentley because the original ownwer doesn't lose the one he has (that would be stealing)

Also the price of making a copy would be somewhat (factor of 10 or more?) higher than buying the original.

I think in the case of the Carl Fischer archives, I've seen prices in the range of a couple of hundred dollars or more for buying a copy. The price is in some strange way probably justified because somebody has to go find it and page by page make a copy.

But it's not a "reasonable" price given that one could make their own copu for a buck or two and some of their own time.

Given a 100 or 200 to 1 ratio between the price of getting it legitimately and the price of "making a copy" (not stealing the original)it isn't too hard to predict what will happen 99% or more of the time.

But if Fischer would sell you one for say $5 or $6 or even $10 over the internet I think most folks wouldn't bother with the hassle of making their own. (Which they could have done if they had scanned the original when they archived it.)

But even from their point of view it's almost certainly simple economics - would enough people pay the $10 to justify the cost of having someone scan it? Probably not, or it would most likely still be in print. And if it isn't worth the couple of hundred bucks involved in scanning it, is it really worth the cost of hiring a lawyer and tracking down all two or three people a year who make a copy of a copy?

So the REAL current system where most everyone makes their own illegitimate copy is probably the best "economical" solution for all concerned.

Follow Ups: