Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Schilke Heleberg II

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on November 03, 1999 at 21:12:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Schilke Heleberg II posted by Leland on November 03, 1999 at 17:02:21:

The R&S mouthpiece is as exact a copy as can be done with the best technology available. The only difference is the outside - the internals are the same. Some blind taste tests using a blindfolded player, several different horns and a combination of different mouthpieces (megatones, Warburtons, Monet, etc.) and a tape recorder might be one way to determine the differences (if any) that the mass has on the sound.

The difference between the Bach megatones and the R&S is that there is more mass at the base of the mouthpiece where most of the reflection occurs and where the sympathetic resonance begins. An aluminum mouthpiece vibrates and incredible amount when you play it. The lack of mass allows for more sympathetic resonance. Many jazz players use aluminum mouthpieces because it feels as though you are getting a massage while you are playing. The additional mass lets more of the energy (work) being generated by the interaction of the lips and the air to act on the amplifier (horn) transferring the resonance to the leadpipe rather than disipating it into the air through the sides of the mouthpiece.

Empirical data - there is a physicist at Indiana University who has done research in holographic resonances and has developed a unit that displays the resonance patterns in holographic imaging. I have his card, I just haven't had the nerve to call him and ask him if he'd like to try an experiment for the pure science of it. Plus, I thinkI'd like to borrow someone else's lips for the experiment.

As to requests for the Bach "enhancements". This might be able to happen relatively quickly since all of the profiling is already (I think) completed. Some minor external changes would be needed. I will check on this and post back to the board.

It will bew easier if I can demonstrate the demand to my partner, so keep those requests coming in - it might be easier for printing them off if you were to e-mail me your requests.

Hope this long-winded pontification is not too long and boring. Also, I have some other ideas that may be coming into the picture soon (when I have the time to finish the prototypes).

Keep honkin'
Roger

Follow Ups: