Re: Re: (colored)laquer on tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. (a bit embarrassed here, too) on November 12, 1999 at 03:32:12:

In Reply to: Re: (colored)laquer on tubas posted by Bryan on November 12, 1999 at 01:12:25:

My "Pioneer" (York-made) Eb sousa (a TRULY superb instrument - really) was "decorated" by me (when in my early 20's) with an orange and white swirl in the bell interior and the "brand" name "ACME" in black stenciled letters (no explanation - just a weird joke). I was hired to do a dixie job with a six-piece band at a rich family's house for a wedding reception (daughter) in the family's back yard. This was back sometime in the mid-70's. The brother of the bride (approx. 18-yr.-old a-- h---) went up stairs to his bedroom, got drunk on the wedding champagne, and came back down. Being attracted (I guess) to the silly paint job on my precious sousa, he decided to pick it up and brap a few sounds on it. I wasn't pleased with this, but when he very carelessly released the instrument on to the concrete patio, I had just enough and was obligated to, at that time, toss him into the swimming pool - rental tux and all. Fortunately, the father of the bride was indeed very amused, and offered me two unopened bottles of that excellent 5-year-old brut champagne to take home AND a generous cash tip, all of which I graciously accepted.

The REAL moral of this story: If you don't want your tuba to be a jerk-magnet, resist the temptation to put weird junk on it.

more generalized (?): Keeping a low profile is often a good idea, unless you want to "risk it all" for some good booze and a little extra spending money. ;^/

Follow Ups: