Re: searching for a 6/4 tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 06, 2000 at 18:32:58:

In Reply to: searching for a 6/4 tuba posted by Milton Maull on November 04, 2000 at 23:50:02:

It must be a pretty big community band, with a pretty understaffed tuba section, to need that kind of firepower. It seems to me that blending is the objective for a section player--for me, at least. I never want my sound to dominate the section.

There are truly wonderful 4/4 tubas in BBb that people sell for a fraction of what a similar horn in CC would cost. As a second-rate amateur (and occasional third-rate pro), I don't think a horn that cost more than about $5000 would reveal any benefit over a cheaper horn, because I would not be able to explore the subtle improvements. But the only way to know for sure is to try them out.

For the money, the Cerveny 601 is really big and a very good value at around 3.5 large. I knew a guy in a former life who had one, but he didn't make a better sound than I did on a Miraphone. The bore on that 601 is large enough to, in the words of a wise one, require lots of the free stuff (air). I can't keep up with it.

I once played in a band with a well-balanced four-person section. I new player joined up, and brought a monstrous CC Hirsbrunner (5/4, not Yorkbrunner). Buried the sound of the group. We sounded tubby and bottom-heavy, with no blend, musicality, or character, until that person finally got the hint and left. Of course, the same horn in sensitive hands would have been fine.

I suppose I'm suggesting a rethink of strategy. Think about your musical objectives, and then look for a horn that you can make that kind of music on, and don't worry about its size.

After all, working pros, when they buy a 6/4 (and not all do), do it because it fulfills a particular need--one that few bandsmen face. Few play it all the time, and those that do successfully are the most sensitive players out there.

Rick "music first" Denney

Follow Ups: