Re: Re: Re: Re: Edwards Trombones..........sorry

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on November 10, 2000 at 11:22:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Edwards Trombones..........sorry posted by Tom Mason on November 09, 2000 at 09:22:08:

I emailed Bill Gibson at the Brasswind a little while ago to ask him about his opinions on the thayer vs. hagmann valve. Here's his response:

"Let me give the prices on the 50T3 and the 50A3 first.
50T3 [thayer valve horn]-$3195.00, 16-24 months delivery time.
50A3 [hagmann valve]-$2361.00, 3-6 months delivery time.

My thoughts on the Hagmann valve are that it has the same air flow properties as the Thayer valve, but with a much better mechanism and quicker action. The Hagmann valve is also a lot easier to maintain. You don’t have to remove the bell to clean the valve!! It’s also much easier to oil the valve from the cap that covers the valve.

Now between Bach and Besson [hagmann valve horns] I would have to go with Bach. The Besson is a good horn. I played the Besson bass with dual Hagmann valves and it played well. However if they wouldn’t put so much lacquer on their horns, it would sound even better!! They put just a bit too much lacquer on their horns which deadens the sound. The Bach will sound just as Bach has always sounded but with the Hagmann valve. Since the Bach with the Hagmann is new within this year, delivery is slow, but I believe it will make a name for itself. Most everyone in England and the surrounding areas are playing on custom made trombones with the Hagmann valve so it’s got to be good."

Follow Ups: