Re: St. Pete or a fake?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Swart on November 14, 2000 at 14:55:14:

In Reply to: St. Pete or a fake? posted by Curious on November 14, 2000 at 14:38:14:

I have a St Pete purchased from Die Tuba, so I can give you pretty straight answers on the subject. Freider purchased some 200 St Petes in Russia several years ago, 1996 I think, had them shipped to his home in Germany. These were basic Russian tubas with raw brass and Russian rotary valves. He began selling them via the website. Some were sold as they came from Russia, some were lacquered, some were nickle plated, and some were fitted with German rotary valves. Freider was not and is not actually in the music business, and he stated on the website as much. He also said that when the 200 tubas were sold, there would be no more. They are gone. Freider's still around, but no more tubas. Tuba Exchange has the franchise for St Petersburgs that are sold in the US. They are essentially the same, I believe the rotary valves are slightly different, but that's about it. I don't know where they are plated nor who installs the valves for TE. I paid several hundred less for my St Petersburg from Die Tuba than I would have from TE. I had to deal with customs and pay the shipping from Germany of course, but that was not a big deal. As far as I know, if you want a St Pete now, you have no alternative to buying from TE.

Follow Ups: