Pondering a new leadpipe...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 17, 2000 at 18:11:42:

I have a 1937 Reynolds euphonium that has been overhauled once (at least) in its past. The valves are wonderful, and the horn has a good sound in the upper register. It has four valves (top action) and a bore of about .56 inches. I realize that ain't huge, but neither is it as small as many euphs and baritones. It was a low-pitch horn, and the main tuning slide has been cut to bring it up to pitch. But only a small mouthpiece (6 1/2 AL) will allow the horn to be played in tune--the Schilke I've tried is too flat. The receiver fits a tenor trombone mouthpiece shank.

Clearly, the lead pipe and receiver are not original. The wrap of the leadpipe extends all the way around the bell so that the horn is parallel to my body, requiring my right hand to be cocked at an uncomfortably tight angle to reach the valves. Most euph leadpipes allow the horn to be held at an angle from the body.

I'm thinking of replacing the leadpipe, with the expectation of solving several problems at once: Less wrap around the bell to allow a better holding position, shorter to bring the pitch up a bit, a bigger receiver for more euph mouthpiece choices, and maybe a bit opened up to help the low register of the horn.

I almost obtained a surplus leadpipe for a Yamaha 321 the other day, which looked like it would be just the ticket, but I wasn't quick enough.

So, what do you guys think of my plan? Would that Yamaha leadpipe, which I assume I can order pretty easily, do the job (I'm assuming that it will fit)?

A picture of the horn is on my web page, link below. Look down the page for a close-up.

Rick "Looking forward to ideas" Denney

Follow Ups: