Re: Bach 22 mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 07, 2001 at 23:08:23:

In Reply to: Bach 22 mouthpiece posted by Lesley on November 07, 2001 at 21:13:32:

Can we assume that the mouthpieces you received were used by the original owner of the horn? If so, it makes sense to me. What you're looking at are two mouthpieces, smaller than average, one bowl-cup and one funnel-cup. This is exactly what I would try first if I owned a very large tuba. The common wisdom is to use a smaller mouthpiece on a big horn to help control it better. Perhaps the smaller funnel-cup mouthpiece is a Conn-Helleberg 7B? It could be because Conn-Hellebergs are notorious for being unmarked. You might have the original owner's trial pieces of both major styles of mouthpiece, in a size that the player guessed would work. My instinct would be to advise you to use the funnel-cup mouthpiece because the common wisdom also says that using a funnel on a piston instrument is a good bet. For the record, I think you need to temper that judgment by picking a smaller mouthpiece that fits you comfortably. Many good players advised me to use a 7B on my large piston CC tuba and I found it just a little too small. I ended up using something a tad bigger than a 7B and it works well to this day.

It is very hard for me to visualize accurately what you're describing with the random extra part. Is it possible that it is a mouthpiece that is supposed to be used with some sort of contact microphone? Honestly, I'm only guessing here. Perhaps you can post a picture.

Best of luck with your new horn!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: