Bach 22 mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lesley on November 07, 2001 at 21:13:32:

In the continuing saga of the oboist with the garage sale tuba ($75, such a deal!), I have another question, and would like to take a moment to thank everyone who has been so patient and helpful with with my barrage of questions. I'm having a blast playing, although my housemate could probably live without my rendition of "Moon River" for solo tuba!

So, the garage sale Conn 80J came with a miscellaneous (unlabeled) mouthpiece that looks like a funnel, and a Bach 22 mouthpiece. The first (funnel)looked so unlike any mouthpiece because of the lack of area inside of it, so I've been using the 22, and getting decent results. And let me say right now that I realize the most important factor in deciding what a "good" mouthpiece, reed, headjoint, bocal, blender, etc etc etc...is, is how it works for you, but I'm going to ask the question anyway...

Is a Bach 22 a good standard, or should I bring out the funnel, or should I look for something else all together? I want to be dealing with something that is fairly mainstream and fairly good for a beginner.

And what's up with this funnel mouthpiece?

Also...
I got a random extra part in the deal that I haven't been able to recognise. It's shaped like a small mouthpiece, but here are the catches:

it doesn't seem to fit in anywhere
the shank comes out at a right angle to where it "should"
the cup is _very_ thin
there is this rubber thing behind the rim of this thing - it looks like a rubber washer, but I have no idea what it is...

So - what's my spare part do?

I do _so_ love having pieces left over when everything is put together!!!

Thank you all again for your help!

Follow Ups: