Re: How Good/Bad Are......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on November 09, 2001 at 10:54:36:

In Reply to: How Good/Bad Are...... posted by Ken Herrick on November 08, 2001 at 15:01:34:

For beginner trombone I have met nothing more reliable slidewise than the Yamaha entry model.

I have tested quite a number of Jupiters. For me only their top models were OK, when it came to slides. And then they were not consistent. Even some of the top model specimens had very rough slides, that I would not trust to be broken in during their lifetime. And beginners really deserve very good slides to learn to do intonation by ear, not by counting bumps.

The first .547 Jupiter Bb/F I tested was the best ever, because it responded so well to large mouthpieces. And its sound was just so warm and carrying. I consider myself an idiot, that I did not buy it.

The one I bought, when I later on had to fill the gap between the .500 King and the bassbones, probably is just as good by objective criterias. Only it is that tiny bit brighter, so that it works best with DW 4BL or 4AL. It was not much more expensive than the beginner level Yamaha would have been. But much, much better. By that I mean several dimensions better than Jupiter euph.

My point is, that if one has the chance to make thorough selections, then the Jupiter has potentials as a brand. But if one has to take trombones off a shelf, that to the boot is thousands of miles away, then Yamaha is a much more consistent, hence much more relevant, choice.

Klaus

PS: I, maybe heretically, do not consider this thread off-topic. In real life there is so much overlap in tuba, euph, and trombone elementary teaching. A type of overlap, that I find much more relevant, than the flute, Glockenspiel, and tuba one. Or other odd combinations.

Follow Ups: