Re: being a pro.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on November 06, 2002 at 18:37:08:

In Reply to: being a pro. posted by Considering on November 06, 2002 at 16:01:54:

Hi,

I can identify with your situation very well. I have always struggled between making a decision to stay in music or to revert to another field I have always really enjoyed. I have decided to try to pursue both by merging the two fields. Lots of people are pessimistic as to my ideas, but a greater number of people see promise and use in them. I can't ever see myself not being a tuba player, but I am taking the chance and trying to take an uncharted course. If this means I have to settle on being the best "amateur" tuba player in town, then so be it. I will play because I love to do it, and I love the feeling I get when playing.

It is a difficult decision to be faced with, but the important thing is to listen to your heart and not worry about disappointing someone else. You are the only person that has to live your life. A true friend will support your decision regardless of what he/she may have thought was your ideal career.

One of my best friends in the entire world was three hours from getting a business degree. He suddenly decided that he really wanted to play his trombone more than anything else, and changed his major to jazz studies. He is now a 26 year old sophomore, and happier and more dedicated to his music than anyone I have ever met. He now gets more pro gigs here in town than most people could dream of. The point is that he gave me some of the best, simple advice: no matter what, it is never too late.

You don't owe anything to anyone other than yourself, and all you owe to yourself is to do what makes you happiest. No one can tell you what that is except your own self. Be strong, it will liberate you.

Good luck with your decision making.

Follow Ups: