Re: Re: Re: Re: Anonymous German Eb Fanfare Helicon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 14, 2002 at 14:58:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Anonymous German Eb Fanfare Helicon posted by Joe Baker on November 14, 2002 at 13:55:23:

Then it's an 8H. My trombone lore is weak.

But there's nothing keeping you from putting an 88H bell section on it, though you may have to unsolder a leadpipe brace. The F attachment tubing might conflict as well, and the ergonomics would be even worse, heh, heh. So, I should say there's nothing preventing the concept of attaching a bell section with an F attachment.

I still like the idea of taking a valve section from a top-action baritone and replacing the slide section with it. Joe is doing the same thing with a marching baritone valve section. The F attachment provides the fourth valve in both schemes. My taste in such a beast would lean strongly to the bass trombone end of the spectrum.

But speaking of trombones, I'm playing this King Fluegelbone with a 6-1/2AL at the moment, and the seemingly similar Conn 3 works about as well. I have an assortment of mouthpieces for euphonium, but in the wrong shank. Is there a preferred mouthpiece for a .5" trombone-like instrument for a guy with tuba lips?

As to better intonation with the slide, that depends on who's moving the slide. I'd be lucky to get within two positions after thinking through--Eb, that's first valve-er-third position--now is that a little THIS side of the bell?--oops the note is already gone!

Rick "who has a solid 1.75-octave range on valve trombone" Denney

Follow Ups: