Re: Re: Holton 345 6/4 census-secound time

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on November 20, 2002 at 17:59:01:

In Reply to: Re: Holton 345 6/4 census-secound time posted by Carole Nowicke on November 20, 2002 at 11:48:06:

Carole,

While Dan is undertaking the task of tracking down the whereabouts and condition of the horns, I've been doing some work to obtain information from Holton. Part of the problem is that there are very few records, but I'm starting to make some progress. There is a lot of oral tradition about the production, but with significant discrepancies. Keating Johnson, for example, recalls that they were made three at a time.

However, regarding the model numbers: I confirmed with Dave Surber at LeBlanc that 345 was the model number for the upright version, available in either CC or BBb. 350 was a model number for a fixed bell front, available in either CC or BBb. 355 was the model number for the adjustable (2 piece) bell front version, also available in either CC or BBb.

I'm not sure how the 345/350/355 horns differed from the model 98, if at all, but we're working on it.

If you have or come across any names or leads regarding the background of these tubas, please let me know.

Thanks for your interest and comments.

Tony E

Follow Ups: