Re: Mahler 5/NYPO 1947

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B.G. on November 23, 2002 at 01:55:49:

In Reply to: Mahler 5/NYPO 1947 posted by Chuck Jackson on November 22, 2002 at 23:18:53:

Chuck, I always like to debate recordings of big symphonic works. Obviously, this is a very great recording of the 5th. Indeed, Bill Bell sounds very good on it. However, for my personal taste (which certainly isn't the issue), it's way too fast. I'd really have to listen to this repeatedly to get used to it, and for it to sound "right" to my deaf ears. I personally like much of the first, third, and fifth movements to go a bit slower than they do here. It just comes off as sort of breathless to me. That said, I do like for the 2nd movement to fly like the wind, as it does here. Plus, the famous Adagietto is often times taken at a snails pace these days, which Walter certainly doesn't do. Indeed, this recording has its very, very didicated followers, but I just haven't become one of them yet. As for the playing of the N.Y. Phil. in 1947, well, you said it all!

Now, I know you're going to think this is sacriligeous (sp?), or just plain stupid, but I think that the Mehta/N.Y. Phil. 5th that Teldec made in the late 80's is quite under-rated. At the very least, the sound is magnificent, and the tempi are more comfortable for me.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: