Re: Re: Re: What to buy....3/4 or 4/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on November 28, 2002 at 08:40:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What to buy....3/4 or 4/4 posted by :) on November 28, 2002 at 01:23:12:

In past posts, I've heard of a few people who relly like the Rudy 3/4, and who have used it in orchestra settings. IIRC, is there a Ron Bishop in the world of professional tuba-dom? He may be one such person. Rex Martin really likes the 3/4 Rudy also.

HOWEVER, I'd be willing to wager at least a cup of coffee (the standard wager around my office for really important things we want to argue about) that the 3/4 Rudy isn't these guys (gals) first choice when it comes to orchestra. I suspect they have a number of horns, and typically choose a bigger horn for the orchestra (just my guess -- remember the cup of coffee!), and a more modest-sized one for 5-tet. Along with the coffee wager comes the suspicion 90% of pro players who only own one CC probably owns at least a 4/4 sized horn (say 186 or larger, probably 188 size or larger).

I have also played the 3/4 Rudy (briefly) and rather liked it. If I could own two CC horns, I'd probably opt for the Conn 56J and the 3/4 Rudy, and I would be set (all it takes is money!). Since I'm not ready for that investment at present due to multiple kids entering college, I'm compromising with a 186CC at present. Now, if you have a long-term play to own two CCs, then get the 3/4 Rudy now, and then save up for the 5/4 "big one" later -- that would work.

Good luck,

Steve Inman

Follow Ups: