Bell modification

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by An inquiring mind on November 03, 2003 at 10:31:37:

I'm now the owner of a perfectly serviceable three piston Reynolds removable bell tuba. Plays pretty well- and has a GREAT factory installed "damped piston with thumb hooks" set up for throwing myself wildly out of tune while playing on the first valve slide; one of those "its there so I'll use it all too frequently" deals. I purchased the horn with the express intention of slogging about with it on business trips (music my calling, not my job as it happens). The body is great; fits in a custom modified old samsonite suitcase and can probably be thrown down a flight of stairs without damage when so packed. But the removable recording bell with the then fasionable sousaesque flair from 6.5 to 23 inches in the last 18 inches of tuba begs for damage in travelling, unbalances the tuba when set next to hotel room beds, and doesn't fit gracefully through other than garage doors. (On the other hand it's part of what makes it a gas to play)
What are the thoughts out there from the mighty minds of tubanet on the consequences of coming up with a "same length" upright removeable bell of noticeably more modest flair and wildly less demanding transport requirements? Tinsnips at the ready and torch ablaze, I await your guidance.

Follow Ups: