Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by new topic on November 04, 2003 at 16:14:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers posted by js on November 04, 2003 at 15:50:07:

I recently had the opportunity to play some chamber music with a pro orchestral tubist. I was on violin. It took some adjusting on my part because he consistently was slightly ahead of the beat...for a while I tried to "catch up" to him but then he would still be ahead of me, and the tempo had gotten faster. I had to sort of ignore that trait in the playing.
Is this something that can be discerned in an audition? I've heard this person on stage, and from the audience he is not ahead of the beat. Is this something that "everyone who plays tuba" automatically does? In my tuba playing, I'm "with" the beat exactly as I am "with" the beat on violin or on horn. So far, there have been no conductor complaints, but I have played under amateur conductors who are happy if everybody is in the same measure. I just make sure sound comes out the bell right on the beat, just like sound comes out the violin right on the beat.
Just curious.
MA

Follow Ups: