Re: TubaEuph Prof: gigs: Must be a Tubist??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on November 08, 2003 at 10:14:07:

In Reply to: TubaEuph Prof: gigs: Must be a Tubist?? posted by curious on November 08, 2003 at 09:04:52:

I did some research on schools with an actual euphonium teacher for a friend last year and found that, as you said, there are only a few. I know it is frustrating. I applied for several jobs last year that were for "low brass" teachers but got very few interviews because I am principally a tubist. Although I have the pedagogical knowledge to teach trombone, those schools really are looking for a trombone player.

I guess if you, as a euphonium player, are looking for college gigs, you'll really need to build up your secondary area and become more than just proficient on tuba or trombone (or both). I know its unfair. Very few universities see a benefit to hiring a euphonium player anless they are a theory teacher who can teach tuba/euph, a band director who can teach tuba/euph, or similar.

Getting a the right college gig is all about best fit for the school. To make yourself an attractive candidate you need be versatile. When a student of mine indicated a desire to teach at the university level I always advise them to have their graduate work in different disciplines Masters in Performance, Doctorate in Theory, Music Ed, Conducting, Music History, or other area of passion. The reality is that nearly all music professors teach a variety of courses.

You stated that tuba/ euph positions usually go to tubists, and that seems to be accurate. Therefor, you need to find another way in to academia. I used my marching band skills to get "in." Besides low brass, what else to you have to offer a college or university?

Follow Ups: