TubaEuph Prof: gigs: Must be a Tubist??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by curious on November 08, 2003 at 09:04:52:

Folks,

I'm looking for some input on this matter: why, when conducting a search for assistant professor of low brass with duties to include teaching tuba AND euphonium, do nearly all schools indicate they want a tubist in the job post? One answer certainly is faculty brass quintet duties. However, this doesn't address all situations. I've been watching this for a while, and I guess I think it's unfair and possibly irresponsible for Universities to only consider tubists for a position of teaching tuba and euphonium. If a tubist can teach euph, why not the other way around?

I'm a euphist and teaching adjunct tuba and euph at a small school, and feeling very lucky to be doing so. But I have seen so many job postings that read "Duties to include teaching applied tuba and euphonium. Candidate must be an outstanding tubist bla bla bla, please submit materials to such-and-so and label your application 'Tuba Search Committee'." It seems to be accepted at an institutional level, which I find troubling. Worse yet, the sort of language I cite above indicates the decision has been made with no consideration at all. In one situation, I included two brand new CDs of my playing with an application. I'm sure there must have been many reasons I was not considered, but imagine my reaction to receiving the materials back several months later, with both CDs still in the shrink wrap.

I will conclude by posing a final question, which I realize is probably naiive: If a school offers a performance major in any given instrument, shouldn't they employ an expert on that instrument?

Follow Ups: