Re: TubaEuph Prof: gigs: Must be a Tubist??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Norberg on November 08, 2003 at 17:05:20:

In Reply to: TubaEuph Prof: gigs: Must be a Tubist?? posted by curious on November 08, 2003 at 09:04:52:

My first reaction to this comment would be to say that tuba is a more difficult instrument to play than euphonium. The tuba takes more air, responds more slowly, and since the register is lower it's more difficult to make the music sound "musical". (FYI, I would say I play both instruments equally well, enough to where I'm pretty sure I could get my master's in performance on either one, but I'm probably not good enough where I could get a performance assistantship on one of them alone.) Besides, I can't imagine a situation where a euphoniumist would want to approach music the same way a tubist in an orchestra or a quintet would, but the tubist must be able to do everything the euphoniumist can. Should euphoniumists be considered for tubaeuph teaching gigs? Absolutely, a good musician is a good musician regardless of the instrument. However, if I'm working at a school that needs a tubaeuph prof I definitely take a closer look at the tuba players who play euph than the other way around.

Scott

Follow Ups: