Re: Effect of Bore Size

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 17, 2003 at 18:42:34:

In Reply to: Effect of Bore Size posted by van on November 17, 2003 at 18:30:41:

All other things aren't equal. If the bore is different, then the position of the valve in the bugle, the taper of the leadpipe, and the taper of the outer branches will have to be different as well.

It is not my experience that air requirements and bore size are directly related. They are related to some extent, but I've played instruments of larger bore that made more noise with less air than instruments of smaller bore. I suspect that the efficiency of sound volume versus air depends on the resonance of the instrument, for which bore provides only a small effect.

My Miraphone as a larger bore than my Holton, but guess which one needs more air? A King 2341 has a smaller bore than, say, a VMI rotary BBb tuba. But the King makes more sound with a given blow.

I've come to the conclusion that bore size is a number on a page that means not much in real terms.

Rick "noting that the bore of 6/4 Yorkophones is relatively small compared to their reputation for sound output" Denney

Follow Ups: