Re: Shipping Woes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by not greyhound either on November 18, 2003 at 10:09:39:

In Reply to: Shipping Woes posted by Kenny Jay on November 17, 2003 at 21:00:31:

Hello, Kenny..........

Re: shipping tubas, I recently had a sousaphone shipped from LA to the Midwest via Greyhound.

I did ask the seller to remove the valve springs and tape the valves down, as you mentioned. The horn arrived undamaged, despite the boxes looking a bit crumpled on arrival.

Two _downsides_ to Greyhound shipping are:

1) No tracking in the sense we are accustomed to with FedEx or UPS, where you can go to a website and check the status of the shipment. The Greyhound # is just for "eventual" tracking in the case of an overdue or lost shipment;

2) Apparently the max declared value on any one item is $300 (?).

The shipper misunderstood what service he had paid for when shipping the sousa, so it took 10 days to arrive (he had expected half that time). I was on the phone frequently to the local depot, so they were watching for the packages. Greyhound is a "sideline" for the local depot, but I was still surprised when I picked up my horn that a clerk expressed concern that my horn had been _LOST_. I was told they regularly fill out "lost article"
paperwork(!).

I'd use a "common carrier" (truck) shipper the next time.

Follow Ups: