Shipping Woes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenny Jay on November 17, 2003 at 21:00:31:

I recently bought a demo King 2341 and hard case from one of the major music stores. It was packed in a huge box filled with loose styrofoam beads. Nothing at all in the case, securing the tuba. Upon opening it up, I found the first valve sprung. Shipped by Fedex. The store felt very bad that it happened, but I am still waiting for them to provide information on returning it.

Then I saw a ‘60's King 1241 on eBay in nice shape. I thought, what the hell. I can save some bucks, and still have a decent tuba. So today I picked it up at UPS. And guess what! Both first and fourth valves were sprung. One stuck all the way down, and one half way down. This time it was packed (in two boxes) with many layers of bubble wrap. Although no case this time. I didn’t even bother to open the bell box. Seller was very helpful and apologetic. It’s already on its way back, after UPS claims gave it the once over.

Over the years, I’ve shipped a few trombones, bass trombones and a euphonium. No problems whatsoever. (I’m a doubler- er tripler)

How can I get a tuba here in one piece! What’s the secret to proper tuba packaging? Should I request that the valve springs be taken out, and the valves taped down? I know the best way is to go and pick it up myself, but I’m about a day and a half from any of the big dealers. And I don’t want to spend a few hundred more on sales tax, gas, lodging etc.

Thanks ahead of time for your comments

Follow Ups: