Re: Bydlo in San Francisco

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rod Mathews on November 20, 2003 at 00:05:50:

In Reply to: Bydlo in San Francisco posted by Brent Herhold on November 18, 2003 at 20:40:16:

Hi Brent,

Were you sitting in the first tier, section E, row C, seat 17 or 19? I think I sat immediately behind you in row D. I wanted to ask the fellow in front of me if he was a tuba player, because I couldn't help but notice that he watched every move during Bydlo through the binoculars, but he cut out pretty quickly before the applause ended. Sounds like you might be him.

Jeff did sound amazing throughout the concert, not just during the Bydlo solo. In addition to pictures the orchestra performed the Shostakovich violin concerto with Sarah Chang as the soloist, and for those of you who don't know the piece the entire brass section is four horns and tuba. I was actually more intrigued by the violin concerto than by Pictures.

I've only heard Jeff play four or five times in the orchestra, and I've gone away smiling every time. He's got a rock solid sound, plays REALLY in tune, and has just the right amount of projection without being overbearing. It's some tasty tuba playing.

Oh, for those who are interested, Jeff plays on an older B&S rotary valve PT-10 F tuba.

Rod

Follow Ups: