oral cavity & mouthpiece brand?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by razorbackbear on November 21, 2003 at 03:51:19:

I don't know if anyone has asked this before, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the size and shape of the oral cavity (including the placement and shape of teeth) will cause a player to sound good or bad on different mouthpieces? Could it be possible to predict what mouthpiece will work better for certain players by knowing the diminsions, size and shape of teeth, and other variables of the oral cavity? Maybe it is late and I am just thinking too much, but I just had a conversation with one of my fellow euphonium players and it really got me thinking. I play a schilke 51D and seem to get a pretty good sound with it. One of my friends plays on one and has a brighter tone. He and I were discussing him possibly trying a Denis Wick or BB1. Another friend of mine can buzz her lips better than me and can buzz the mouthpiece better than me, but I have a much better tone. She also plays on a 51D, but I have wondered if she might have a better tone on a different mouthpiece. Any thpughts and suggestions?

Karri "should be asleep dreaming of playing" Altrogge

Follow Ups: