Re: Re: Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on October 24, 2000 at 18:35:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by Chuck Jackson on October 24, 2000 at 17:44:19:

Chuck,
I didn't mean to berate pops concerts, I'm saying it's a sad state of affairs that marketing people HAVE TO control the programming so that the seats will be filled. I think that's really the original point of this thread: are symphony orchestras dying? Well I'd certainly say that adding a pops series to a season is sending a message indicating that that particular orchestra feels it couldn't survive on strictly classical programming. And your point about paying dues is well taken: I don't know many pros that quit their jobs because they felt that playing "Salute to Bob Hope" every once in a while wasn't worth it for the opportunity to play Mahler and Bruckner.

What a luxury it must be for places like Dallas where the subscriptions sell out every year and single tickets are impossible to get. Many orchestras hire an arts marketing company to telemarket subscription sales for them. Not only does Dallas not do this, their marketing director actually flies around the country giving seminars on how to duplicate their success.

Bryan

Follow Ups: