Re: Re: Re: Re: PT mouthpiece size comparison....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd on October 27, 2000 at 23:12:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: PT mouthpiece size comparison.... posted by Sean Chisham on October 27, 2000 at 22:45:34:

Sean, thank you for the very complete and helpful explaination. I will share with you the problems I am encountering. My F tuba is a Yamaha 822. When I play that horn I need to use continuous fast air in order to make it sound like the sound I have in my mind's ear. As for the 2165, it doesn't tolerate aggresiveness. If I switch from playing the Vaughn Williams on the F then play an excerpt on the big guy I get an over aggresive and fuzzy CC sound. So, I am fighting between playing aggresively (moving a lot of fast air) and having to play with far less slower air....yes slower air.

My mouthpiece switch isn't really for the need of something to fit my aggresiveness but rather something that feels comfortable top to bottom without feeling like that my embouchure has difficulty shifting between some of the octaves. The sharp inner rim of the SChilke H2 and my Schilke 67 makes it rather difficult to shift my embouchure smoothly. I've had better comfort and success with rounder rim mouthpieces. After reading about the PT49 it sounds like that mouthpiece has a similar cup design as the Schilke with a rounder rim.

Am I approaching my frustrations from the wrong angle?? Thanks for your help!

Todd

Follow Ups: