Re: Re: Re: Bydlo---Tuba or Euphonium?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ola on October 03, 2001 at 11:49:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bydlo---Tuba or Euphonium? posted by Rick Denney on October 03, 2001 at 10:34:59:

Well, I've heard Jim play the euphonium as well, and the sound was definately that of a euphonium (though to my ears his tone was far superior to that of the ones who was with him at the time - including some of the world's leading euph players whom shall remain nameless). The french tuba had a lot more 'balls' to the sound; nowhere near as mellow or round as a euphonium. He used a mouthpiece made for a Bb saxhorn, a similar instrument that is still in production and use in France. In France euphonium players regularly double on saxhorn and vice versa after what I understand. Perhaps if there are someone of that description who reads this, he/she can explain this better.

Also, Jim is a great player with an exceptional ability to copy other players characteristics and thus also great control over his tone. He has done this in lessons I've had with him, when he thought I'd become too copious of other tubists playing characteristics.

O

Follow Ups: